Easy-Peasy Gearing for the Newly 70 Warlock


I thought getting myself geared to start raiding in Kara was going to take me a very long time. Thanks to some very helpful guild members (one in particular who basically researched everything for me) I’m already set to go, and it hasn’t been long at all since I hit 70! Here is what I have and how I got it, in case any other affliction warlocks are ready to step up their gear and don’t want to do all the research that Belfonisis did for me!

1. What are the required stats?

For Affiction warlocks, here are the required stats suggested by fellow Affliction-specced warlock and Veritas GM, Aimi:

Self-Buffed

Spell Hit: 80 (Less with the suppression talent.)
Spell Damage: 600
HP: 6500 - 7500
Mana: 7500
Crit: 10%

And in case you’re a Destruction lock, here are Aimi’s suggested stats:

Spell Hit: 80
Spell Damage: 550
HP: 6500 - 7500
Mana: 8500
Crit: 20%

(Note that Aimi suggests speccing Affliction for Kara. We belong to a ‘we wont tell you how to spec’ guild, though. I tried the dark pact/ruin build for about a week, but didn’t get nearly the DPS I get with Unstable Affliction. Also, she didn’t provide any info on what a Demonology warlock ought to have, and since I’d personally never spec Demonology myself, I haven’t bothered to look that up. If anyone knows this, please comment and I’ll add!)

2. What does my gear give me?

Spell Hit: 78 (+ Supression)
Spell Damage: 657
HP: 7760 (with Imp buff)
Mana: 8335
Crit: 12%

Visit Frijona’s amory profile for more info. (Note that this will change as I continue to upgrade my gear.)

3. The gear, and where to find it

Head

Hydromancer’s Headwrap – This is a quest reward for slaying Warlord Kalithresh in Steamvault (non-heroic). The quest is called The Warlord’s Hideout and starts with the Night Elf who sits inside Colifang Reservoir. He’s not the easiest boss to kill, but other than that it’s a generally fun instance which isn’t too hard to find people to go with. I ran it at level 68. Go ahead and ignore the socket bonus, as it is pretty pointless.

Neck

Torc of the Sethekk Prophet - This necklace gives a big spell crit boost. It’s also a quest reward for the quest Brother Against Brother, which takes place in Sethekk Halls. This instance also gives Lower City rep, which you’ll need for your shoulders!

Luminous Pearls of Insight is another option, which drops from the final boss in Underbog. I’ve seen it drop at least twice, but then again Underbog is my favorite instance and so I run it whenever I can.

Shoulders

Dreadweave Mantle - I chose this piece for three reasons: 1) the hit rating, 2) it’s fairly easy to get, and 4) it’s less hideous than the other option, which is blue and white and does not look warlock-ish at all:

The other, uglier option I mentioned was Spaulders of the Torn Heart, a reward for one of the longest quest chains in the game.

Back

Ogre Slayer’s Cover - Not my best piece, but pretty easy to get just from helping out that Broken in Nagrand who keeps getting captured by Ogres. Even though it’s not that spectacular, I couldn’t find an upgrade that was worth any effort.

Chest

Imbued Netherweave Robe. This is part one of the crafted set. The materials required are:

6 bolts of imbued netherweave
2 netherweb spider silk
1 rune thread

It’s also not that expensive on the AH. I can’t really see a reason why anyone wouldn’t want this set. I suppose if you’re Aldor, you can get Anchorite Robes, but I would advise against going Aldor so you can get the trinket from Scyers. Plus, if you have this robe you can’t complete the set.

Wrist

Shattrath Wraps - Another quest reward from the quest The Soul Devices. The red socket is great, since better gems come in red varieties than in blue (which most of my socketed items have).

Hands

Tempest’s Touch - This is a quest reward for Return to Andormu which you complete after running Old Hillsbrad, which is an amazing instance, that’s full of great lore. My voidwalker tanked this instance (along with Thrall). (Sometime I’ll have to write something about voidwalker tanking in instances.)

Waist

Sash of Serpentra - This is my only boss drop item. It’s amazing for the +17 hit rating. If it doesn’t drop for you, I’d suggest:

Girdle of Ruination - A crafted belt that is very mats-heavy. The sockets will allow for adding +hit. I’d suggest waiting until you get to 70 and have your flying mount for farming the following mats:

10 shadowcloth
16 primal fire
1 primal nether

Legs

Imbued Netherweave Pants - Part 2 of the set! Uses the following mats:

5 bolt of imbued netherweave
2 netherweb spider silk
1 rune thread

Or you could search it out on the auction house.

Feet

Imbued Netherweave Boots - Part 3. These look rather ugly if you have to look at them, so having the robe instead of the tunic is my advice in this case! I never saw this one on the auction house, but that doesn’t mean you wont. Mats:

4 bolt of imbued netherweave
6 knothide leather
2 netherweb spider silk
1 rune thread

Finger

Cenarion Ring of Casting - This is from that quest in Colifang where you have to find all of the missing Druids. Not one of my best items, but like the cloak there aren’t many good ring upgrades that are easily available.

Band of the Guardian - Yet another quest reward! This one is from Hero of the Brood, which is completed in Black Morass, which like Old Hillsbrad is lots of fun! Although, I would not recommend having your voidwalker tank this one.

Trinket

Scryer’s Bloodgem - This is the awesome trinket from getting revered with the Scryers. This gives you improved spell hit rating by 32. Also, Scryer’s rep is easier to get these days due to the daily quests. The signets are actually pretty cheep on the auction house!

Glowing Crystal Insignia - Another quest reward, this time from Overlord Gorefist. It was a while back, but I’m pretty sure I soloed this quest. Hordies do a different quest and get Ancient Crystal Talisman.

Another option, essential if you are destruction specced or if you have no brains—I mean went Aldor:

Vengeance of the Illidari - I chose Insignia because as an afflicion specced warlock, damage done is more important.

Staff

The Bringer of Death - This staff not only looks completely shadow and awesome, but it’s a bind on equip world drop! This means you might find it on sale in the auction house. Mine was a gift from a guild member. There is no reason for you not to have this staff.

Wand

Nesingwary Safari Stick - Since all the 70 warlocks in my guild, and many of the mages as well, have this wand, I’m not going to bother to link any others. It makes finishing all those boring animal killing quests in Nagrand worth it.

There you have it! I managed to obtain all of these items in less than three weeks, while it took me over three years to get to 70. If anyone has pieces I’ve missed and would like added, be sure and comment!

Coming Soon: The gems and enchants I’ve used, my first trip to Kara (tomorrow!), balancing raiding and RP, and why Bliz should make an option to hide shoulder armor.

1 comment

K said...

Pieces of the Frozen Shadoweave set will last you well into ... well, used to be middle game? Now will shortly be .. who knows. But still worth making if your warlock is a tailor. If it isn't (and I think you said you were an alchy?), no worries! Spellstrike hood and pants are also very good to hang onto and are BoE.

And depending on how much you like to instance, there are a lot of nice upgrades in heroic instances, which get you badges, which get you upgrades. It's a win win situation all around! :)

 
|  Blog of Corruption. Blogger Template By Lawnydesignz Powered by Blogger